What an Amazing Weekend ;-). Well done and Congratulations to all Applied Computing Students and Graduates who participated in Swansea Start-up Weekend (#SWS) – You were ‘Amazing‘.
All participants of this fantastic Weekend are Winners. A Special mention to:
- BIT Graduate ‘Elliot Thomas’ (CEO of ‘Fuzmo‘.com) and his Team who *WON* the Swansea Start-up Weekend 2014, 2nd place Team Winners included Reham Al-Shaibani (2nd Yr BIT student) and Jordan Sparkes (2nd Yr Computer Games student) and 3rd place Team Winner Samuel Riley (Final Year BIT student).
- BIT Year 2 Students Elisha Arnold, Alexander Page and Lauren Collins narrowly missed out on 3rd place along with Richard Gleed’s Team including Abdulaziz Almegren and Yr2 Web Development student Kelvin Beukes.
- Software Engineering Graduate Edd Turtle and Web Development Graduate Ben Gillot also narrowly missed the top 3 price winning spots. All created Amazingly innovative new tech business opportunities and performed brilliantly all weekend.
* WELL DONE EVERYONE *
Thank you very much to the Organisation Team for providing such a fantastic Opportunity for our students and Graduates including James Pack, Kathryn Penaluna, Adam Curtin, Rod Thomas, Sue Poole, Matt Warren, Helen Hall, Colin Lucas, Andy Penaluna, Will Fleming and James Williams.
There are a wide variety of employment websites for specific employment and career sectors. For up-to-date job opportunities in Computing and IT Management checkout:
Prospects.ac.uk is another great site for job opportunities and work experience placements.
Use the above links to search for job opportunities in your area.
Another useful site is IT Jobs Watch, the site provides a map of the UK IT job market, identifying the level of demand for IT skills with a guide to average salaries.
In this video, technology role models explain the rewards of working in IT and Technology:
FDM are always on the look out for talented people with great potential to join their team. FDM Group’s award winning graduate programme is designed to help graduate students bridge the gap between academia and employment.
FDM Group is the UK’s largest employer of IT Graduates and has launched the careers of over 3000 graduate students to date. FDM Group is an international IT services company, headquartered in Brighton, United Kingdom with offices in London, Manchester, New York, Frankfurt, Zurich, Luxembourg, Hong Kong and Singapore. The company provides services for project management, infrastructure support, application support, software testing, software development and training.
In a bid to combat the shortage of women in IT, FDM has implemented an initiative that promotes and encourages women to launch a career in IT. FDM has also established a female mentoring programme where our ‘Female Champions’ mentor fellow colleagues and organise events to raise awareness of the attractive opportunities for women in the IT industry.
The FDM Graduate Programme provides high-quality training to prepare Graduates for a rewarding Career as part of the FRM Group. For more information about the FDM Graduate Programme please click-here.
A mini documentary investigating career opportunities in IT and Technology. In this video, technology role models discuss what the future holds for the IT Industry and what that means for careers:
Who are the best people to advice businesses on how to embrace and use New Technology such as Social Media, Mobile Apps and Cloud Computing: You, the new upcoming Generation and Graduates of today.
Prosper Recruitment are currently seeking Graduates and Postgraduates for exciting job opportunities in the field of Software Development:
Software Developer (Ref. 3110) : Gwent
> Permanent £30-£33K
Our client is a leader in the manufacture and supply of high quality products for the financial and retail sectors. They currently have an opportunity for an experienced Software Engineer to join their team as soon as possible
- To design, support and maintain the company’s software products and applications
- Assist internal and external customers to derive appropriate software specifications for products.
- Manage and develop new software projects through the entire development lifecycle.
- Design, develop and validate software changes in compliance with approved procedures and within agreed timescales.
- Manage temporary or contract personnel on PC-software projects.
- Provide advice, support and training on software use to staff and customers.
- A relevant degree or equivalent with proven programming experience
- Experience of C# and .NET framework and JAVA on a Windows platform.
- Familiar with ASP, AJAX, CSS
- Experience of RS232 and USB communications protocols
- Experience of Microsoft SQL databases.
- Knowledge of embedded C would be an advantage but not essential.
- Excellent analytical, numeric and interpersonal skills.
- Strong team player, flexible and customer-focused
Software Developer (Ref. 3109) : Swansea
Our client operates on a worldwide basis delivering the best Control of Work software tools and support services to the largest multinational oil, gas and chemicals companies in the world. They are seeking a talented individual to enhance their development team.
- To support the company’s specialist software
- Work with the development team at all stages of the development lifecycle
- To research and take advantage of the latest technologies and advances
- Good degree in Computing or IT related subject
- Proven experience of all stages of IT Product Design
- Experience of using ASP.NET, .Net Framework, C# and SQL is required
- Excellent awareness of the latest technologies
- Excellent communication skills with a good standard of written and spoken English
- Self motivated team worker able to work unsupervised to tight deadlines
- To be able to travel as there may be opportunities with this role
IT Manager (Ref. 2674) : South West Wales
> Permanent : Circa £35K
Our clients are established and highly successful medium sized coming offering services to manufacturing companies throughout the UK. The company are currently seeking to recruit an experienced IT Manager to play a key role in maintaining and developing their networked systems to support the business
- Lead IT operational and strategic planning to suit business strategy
- Benchmark, analyze, report on, and make recommendations for the improvement and growth of the IT infrastructure
- Manage financial aspects of all IT, including purchasing and budgets
- Develop and implement all IT policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, standards, purchasing
- Manage the deployment, integration, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrade, and support of all IT systems, including network servers, company website, telephone systems, PCs, operating systems, hardware, software applications, technical support
- Manage small IT team including recruitment, supervision and development
- Maintain, monitor, update and improve company website
- Strong technical knowledge of PC operating systems, networking, website and communication technologies and protocols
- Strong technical knowledge of current network hardware, architecture design, and standards
- Experience with Sage and SQL server database management systems
- Ideally you will have experience in web / software development programmes
- Proven experience in IT infrastructure planning and development
- Ability to manage Managing Multi sites
- You will have strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Ideally understanding of human resource management principles, practices, and procedures
Take a look at our current vacancies at: www.prosperec.co.uk and register today by emailing your CV to email@example.com.
Excellent Business Technology & Software Development Opportunities for IT & Computing Graduates @:
+ Many more: please click here.
A mini documentary by BigAmbition investigating career opportunities in IT and Technology and the varied routes into the industry. In this video, technology role models provide an overview of the IT industry and how it’s shaping our world.
The illustration above from an article written by Nell Edgington titled ‘Teaching Our Kids to Build the Computers of the Future‘ clearly shows the number of Computer job opportunities far exceeds the number of Graduates required to fill them. Nell goes onto to state that:
“we are facing an enormous shortage of people who can create the technology we desperately need… Projections estimate that by 2020 we will need 1.4 million computer programmers, but will only have 400,000 computer science graduates, creating a 1 million person gap.”
Similarly in an article for the Guardian Josh Cooke echoes this sentiment “As every aspect of business and commerce becomes ever more reliant on computing, the demand for technologically minded individuals is increasing at a huge rate. This is great for current computer science students such as myself, as we’re entering the industry at a very exciting and lucrative time.”
In an article for Network World titled ‘Want a job? Get a computer science degree‘ written by Carolyn Duffy Marsan, Professor Lenny Pitt, Director of Undergraduate Programs for the Department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois says
“Everybody is realizing that IT is going to be important in the marketplace, and they are looking to beef up their resumes with some kind of certificate or qualification that would give them an edge… Parents may well be aware of the job opportunities in the IT industry, which is suffering the least despite the downturn.”
For more information about Careers & Courses in Computing at Swansea Metropolitan please click-here.