Posts tagged ‘Trinity Saint David’
Technology has and is revolutionising the way we live and work – but believe it or not, it’s just getting started. Technology is getting better and better and in the future – the possibilities are infinite.
Technology is a very exciting area. As new technology emerges and evolves it continues to enrich and enhance our lives, such as:
- Helping us to share and communicate with family friends or work colleagues;
- Empowering us to bring our ideas to life and create in an infinite number of ways;
- Entertain ourselves with music movies games or various social-media platforms.
Computers operated by the mind motion and emotion, wearable technology, environmental technology and advanced medical treatments are among the emerging technologies that will enhance our lives and reshape the future. Some recent developments include:
- The internet of things in which the physical objects around us are connected to the web will make our environment more interactive including such things as Smart Homes Cars, Offices, Cafes, Public and Community Spaces.
- Google Glass that allow us to live in an Augmented Reality, being able to view social media feeds, text, play games, navigate with Google Maps, take photos etc… other tech companies are bound to innovate and create different versions with increasing features and possibilities soon.
- Virtual Reality gaming is here in the form of Oculus Rift – this 3D headset lets you feel that you are actually inside a video game. This is the beginning of the revolution for next-generation gaming.
- 3D printing technology allows us to print our design ideas into a solid real-life product.
- Wearable Computing, recent developments include gadgets with flexible displays, making it possible to wrap a handset around your wrist, turning it into a bracelet that plays your favourite music or displays Social Media updates. Many forecast that flexible electronics will give rise to smart fabrics, making clothing items with built-in music-players, changeable colours and patterns, or heaters (for the colder months) a reality.
- Robotics will see intelligent machines or robots expand beyond manufacturing and enter our lives to assist our working and personal lives. Maybe someday soon, your new robot friend will help you to complete tasks, will help around the house and help you make a delicious meal.
Advances in electronics and nanotechnology will continue to make computers ever smaller, slimmer and multi-functional. Increasing Philanthropic initiatives coupled with low-cost Smartphone’s tablets and communication methods will continue to reach developing parts of the world, providing hard-to-reach community’s access to the Global Connected Community.
The World Economic Forum has compiled a list of the most potentially influential technologies currently being developed. Each innovation was selected for its capacity to have a real and positive impact on the world, according to the WEF’s Global Agenda Council on Emerging Technologies topping the list is “brain-computer interfaces” which would build on the already available technology which allows people to type by monitoring their electrical activity in their brain. The technology could make it possible for people with disabilities to operate wheelchairs and other equipment using their thoughts. In its report the council stated:
Technology has become perhaps the greatest agent of change in the modern world. While never without risk, positive technological breakthroughs promise innovative solutions to the most pressing global challenges of our time.
The council wants to see governments working with researchers and businesses to promote the emerging technologies which could bring great improvements to many people’s lives. Martina Larkin, senior director and head of the Network of Global Agenda Councils, said: “Close cooperation between governments, industry and academia is essential to harness their potential.” And Noubar Afeyan, chair of the Global Agenda Council on Emerging Technologies and CEO of Flagship Ventures, said:
“These breakthroughs show the boundless potential for technology to have a positive impact on society.”