What an Amazing Weekend ;-). Well done and Congratulations to all Applied Computing Students and Graduates who participated in Swansea Start-up Weekend (#SWS) – You were ‘Amazing‘.
All participants of this fantastic Weekend are Winners. A Special mention to:
- BIT Graduate ‘Elliot Thomas’ (CEO of ‘Fuzmo‘.com) and his Team who *WON* the Swansea Start-up Weekend 2014, 2nd place Team Winners included Reham Al-Shaibani (2nd Yr BIT student) and Jordan Sparkes (2nd Yr Computer Games student) and 3rd place Team Winner Samuel Riley (Final Year BIT student).
- BIT Year 2 Students Elisha Arnold, Alexander Page and Lauren Collins narrowly missed out on 3rd place along with Richard Gleed’s Team including Abdulaziz Almegren and Yr2 Web Development student Kelvin Beukes.
- Software Engineering Graduate Edd Turtle and Web Development Graduate Ben Gillot also narrowly missed the top 3 price winning spots. All created Amazingly innovative new tech business opportunities and performed brilliantly all weekend.
* WELL DONE EVERYONE *
Thank you very much to the Organisation Team for providing such a fantastic Opportunity for our students and Graduates including James Pack, Kathryn Penaluna, Adam Curtin, Rod Thomas, Sue Poole, Matt Warren, Helen Hall, Colin Lucas, Andy Penaluna, Will Fleming and James Williams.
Two new Graduate Profiles has been posted for Monica Phan (Graduated with a BSc (Hons) Web Development in 2014) and Guy Corrella (Graduated with a BSc (Hons) in Business Information Technology in 2012). Read all about what they’re up to now!
After Graduating earlier this year Simon Bennett tells us about his time at University of Wales Trinity Saint David studying for a BSc (Hons) in Web Development:
For course information please click here: http://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/computing/
We have some exciting events coming-up that you might be interested in. The events are fantastic opportunities to meet new people, learn new sills, increase your network and very often lead to great employment opportunities.
- Swansea’s Tech Start-up Weekend will start on Friday 21st November at 6pm through to Sunday at 8pm. If you are looking to start a business or gain some business start-up experience this event is for you. Great Prizes available and Great experience to enhance your CV. + You will be provided with free breakfast lunch dinner drinks and snacks all weekend to keep you going + FREE PIZZA ;-). The event is taking place at the Dylan Thomas Centre in Swansea (located behind Sainsbury’s), we are meeting at 6pm on the 21st Nov. Tickets normally cost £35, however if you are a student of the School of Applied Computing UWTSD you go for free. To reserve a place simply e-mail email@example.com. For more information please visit the Global Start-up Weekend website which includes information for first-timers.
- Code Clubs are running up until Christmas. Code Club is an opportunity for all people regardless of coding experience to get together and learn about different aspects of coding. Each club begins with a guest speaker sharing their experience of being a developer, followed by an introduction to a topic and a few challenges on Coderbyte. The club is BYOD (bring your own device) so please bring along your laptop or Mac book and we’ll supply the pizza! We meet one Thursday per month, between 18:00-19:30, in the TechHub Swansea. For more information please click here.
- Software Development Round Table, A monthly software development meet-up to discuss technology, practices or whatever else takes our fancy. The meet is on the last Monday of every month. Next meeting is on Monday, November 24, 2014, 7 to 9:00 pm. If you’re using some new technology you think others would be interested in, if you’ve got a design or some code you’d like to discuss, if you’d like to discuss a specific practice, a problem you are having or you’d simply like to see what others have got to say – come along and join in. This is an informal session, you don’t need any particular experience and you don’t need to have suggestions – just bring yourself. For more information please click-here.
- Making Big Data work: Interested in working with Big Data? Need help getting Started? Check out this free event = in Cardiff Bay on the 25th November, 9:15 – 3:30pm, at the: Big Data Life Sciences Hub, Assembly Sq, Cardiff Bay. For more information please click here: http://www.hpcwales.co.uk/making-big-data-work. To register: tinyurl.com/bigdataworkshop.
Swansea’s Techhub Start-up Weekend will start on the 21st November. If you are looking to start a business or gain some business start-up experience with someone who has a great idea this weekend is for you. Entrepreneur, Software Developers, Designers and Marketers all attend the event to work together on a new business idea that they then present as a team to the judges on the Sunday night. Great Prizes available and Great experience to enhance your CV. + You will be provided with free breakfast lunch dinner drinks and snacks all weekend to keep you going + FREE PIZZA ;-).
The event is taking place at the Dylan Thomas Centre in Swansea (located behind Sainsbury’s), we are meeting at 6pm on the 21st Nov. Tickets normally cost £35, however if you are a student of the School of Applied Computing UWTSD you go for free. To reserve a place simply e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
To review last year’s event and entries please click-here.